October 10, 2013 Recipes
If you make this recipe, there is a good chance that you will eat it all in one sitting. It is perfectly sweet with a soft center and a crunchy glaze on the outside. It can be made into small loafs or into a bundt cake and is perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dessert.
Ingredients for the Bread:
Yield- approximately 4 small loafs or 1 bundt cake.
3 cups bread flour (or all purpose)
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
2.5 cups sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla
1.5 tsp almond extract
1.5 cups whole milk
1 & 1/3 cups corn oil or safflower oil
3 whole eggs
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
Ingredients for the Glaze:
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 Tbsp melted butter
1. Start by mixing the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl
2. Add the wet ingredients and beat with a mixer for 3 minutes on medium speed until everything is mixed together.
3. Pour into greased and floured loaf pans or a Bundt pan. Only fill about half way full.
4. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I usually start checking it around 50 minutes. If you use a Bundt pan it will most likely take 70 minutes to cook through.
4. Once the bread is done cooking let it rest in the pan for about 10 minutes. Prepare the glaze during this time as you will need to glaze the bread while it is still warm.
6. Mix all of the glaze ingredients together and then use a pasty brush to spread the glaze over the bread. Remember to get the sides as well as the top.
This recipe was given to us by our good friend Nikowah Okland.